Tuesday, February 08, 2011

Leeks

Here are the leeks I planted in the greenhouse a couple weeks ago. I was a little worried about them, since it took so long for them to germinate, but they came up beautifully. I've been really excited about growing leeks since I read about Eliot Coleman's method of growing them. They'll grow in the greenhouse until they're 1/4 to 1/2 an inch in diameter, hopefully sometime in late April. Then they'll be planted outside. So, check back then to see Mr. Coleman's leek transplanting method.

I planted two varieties of leeks - King Richard and Megaton. "King Richard" just sounds like an awesome leek (That's why I ordered it...or one of the reasons, anyway). "Megaton"; however, is not prepossessing at all. Who came up with that name? It sounds like something from Power Rangers. Did they think that someone would see the name "Megaton" in the seed catalog and say, "I HAVE to grow that one!" ?

If all goes well, you CSA members will have leeks in your baskets in July or so.

-Tricia Ann

There are about 37,000 seeds in this 1/4 lb packet.

1 comment:

Alicia@ eco friendly homemaking said...

Oh how awesome! I am so ready for Spring and seeing these seeds coming up like this just gets me in the mood even more!