Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Weeding...


And let us not be weary in well doing; for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.
(Galatians 6:9)

Should we like it? That’s a question that was up for discussion a few weeks back. And no wonder! It’s the chore that’s kept us busy for the past several weeks. Even Philip’s mom joined in the effort. In fact, she’s the top weeder in our family. She can bend over and pull weeds for literally hours on end! I, on the other hand, can’t last that long. I have to resort to kneeling or sitting after just a few minutes. What’s more astounding is that she actually enjoys weeding. If she’s ever in your yard and she sees a weed, no matter what, she’s determined to pull it up. I think our weeds actually tremble at the sight of her coming! Oh, how I wish I could be like her!


That’s what prompted our weed discussion. I was lamenting to Tricia Ann as we were busy weeding one morning that I wish I enjoyed pulling weeds. Tricia Ann pointed out that maybe we're not meant to like pulling weeds because it’s part of the curse. I’m not so sure. I think that weeds are part of our sanctification, and if we pray about it, the Lord can change our attitude.

Weeds certainly are a curse. But it seems as if, even in cursing, the Lord adds some blessings. Weeding our garden teaches us something about sin. The Lord cursed the ground with thorns and thistles. Every time we see one, or feel the pain of a prick from one, we can think of how evil our sins are. Then we can be thankful that Christ paid for those sins. Also, briars of all kinds are among the first types of plants to grow on barren ground. It’s as if God designed them to redeem the neglected or abused soil by preventing erosion and holding valuable minerals. And, I must say, weeds certainly provide our family with lots of quality time. We’ve had lots of family chats, singing of silly songs, and pondering the meaning of life while weeding together. Another blessing weeds provide is the exercise we get from all the bending, reaching, and pulling. I think that’s the part that I wish I enjoyed. It’s actually not the exercise that I dislike. It’s the sore muscles and the heat that bother me. I’d rather lay on the couch in the air conditioning and read a book than weed the garden. But, those weeds keep calling to me! And, hey! Even if we can’t enjoy the process, we can certainly enjoy the results. It’s so satisfying to look out our back window and see the beautiful, well-tended garden. So you see? Maybe weeds are a blessing disguised as a curse?

~Trish

No comments: